“The Cathar are a respected species and many great Jedi have come from my world!” ―Sylvar[src]
The Cathar were a species of feline, bipedal humanoids native to Cathar, a planet of savannas and rough uplands. They were known for their loyalty, passion, and temper. Quick and powerful, they were considered great warriors and dedicated, efficient predators. Cathar had high moral values, learned from both family and society. Their females were prized as slaves, whereas the males were generally regarded as too uncontrollable for slavery.
The baseline Cathar had fur-covered bodies with thick manes. They had prominent, retractable claws that could deliver powerful killing attacks on foes and prey. Their bodies also possessed rapid healing abilities. On average, Cathar were 1.5 to 1.9 meters tall. These traits made them the perfect hand-to-hand specialists.
The Cathar species also had two additional subspecies, known as the Juhani and the Myr Rho. Both of these were notably less catlike than mainline Cathar. Cathar were born into a litter.
• Retractile Grapnels: Cathar have natural weapons in the form of retractable claws that do Str+d6 damage and grant +2 to Climbing rolls on all but completely sheer surfaces.
• Natural Predator: Their religion included a ritual known as the “Blood Hunt,” in which Cathar warriors individually engaged in combat against entire nests of Kiltik in order to gain honor and purge themselves of inner darkness. Characters begin the game with a d6 in Fighting.
• Quick: Quick and powerful, Cathar are considered great warriors and dedicated, efficient predators. Whenever you are dealt a 5 or lower in combat, you may discard and draw again until you get a card higher than 5.
• Fast Healer: Cathar bodies possessed rapid healing abilities. Add +2 to Vigor rolls when checking for natural healing. See page 78 for complete rules on Healing.
• Code of Honor: Cathar had high moral values, learned from both family and society. Their females were prized as slaves, whereas the males were generally regarded as too uncontrollable for slavery.
• Stubborn: Cathar are proud as a rule and always want their way and never admits they’re wrong. Even when it’s painfully obvious they have made a mistake they try to justify it with half-truths and rationalizations.
• Loyal: Cathar are known for their loyalty to their clan and their comrades, this can often extend to a cause.
• Racial Enemy: The planet of Cathar was devastated by the Mandalorians during the Battle of Cathar, leading to the enslavement and near-extinction of the Cathar species. Over 90 percent of the species were killed by the Mandalorians in the battle. A Cathar may attack a Mandalorian on site without provocation. They will always distrust them.(–4 Charisma when dealing with one)
• Languages: Basic and Catharese. (The native language of the Cathar is Catharese, which included the emphasis of some spoken words with a growl. Cathar that did not learn Basic as a child will speak it with a “Russian” accent)